Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kindles For Kids: Short Story Contest


Here's all the details for the short story contest.

Purpose

I'm on the lookout for great short stories to help populate the Kindle Fires that will be donated to the hospital.

What Kinds of Stories?

The short stories can be any genre (so long as it falls under the kidlit umbrella), but they all need to have a fairy tale at their heart. The short stories can be re-tellings, fractured fairy tales, or any combination you can think of. Well-known fairy tales are welcome as are the lesser told. Nothing above a PG rating.

How long?

I'm putting the cap at 7,000 words. I will be accepting submissions from March 12th-April 15th.

Format?

12 point, Courier font. Double-spaced. Please include a cover page as part of the pages for the story and attach this in one file to the email. Please do *not* put your name anywhere on or in the actual short story file.

Email

Please send your story to this email address. If I've set things up correctly, you should get a form "I got it!" email back.

What do you get out of it?

Warm-fuzzies for helping the hospital stay be a little more tolerable for thousands of kids. Also, if your story is accepted, you'll receive a digital copy. Because this is for charity, neither the authors of the short story nor the editor (me) will receive any monetary compensation.

Form

On Monday, I'll have a form available that you'll need to also attach to your email submission (bringing total attachments up to two). It will basically give me permission to use your story in the anthology and to upload a copy on to each Kindle Fire I'm able to purchase for donating to the hospital. It will also give me permission to fix any grammatical errors I might encounter.

Notification

If I'm able to stay on top of things, I should be able to let everyone who has submitted know whether their story will be included in the anthology or not by May 1st. This will, of course, depend on how many submissions I receive. I'm not planning on receiving thousands, but in the event that happens, I'm going to be a mite slower than I'm anticipating. If you haven't heard by May 1, 2012, check your spam filter and then feel free to send an inquiry.

If you have any further questions/clarifications, please feel free to let me know in the comments. I will get back to you within the week. :)


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great challenge. I'll try to see if I can come up with an idea for submission. It's such a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spread the word!
    http://www.dearestdreams.com/2012/03/kindles-for-kids-and-writing-for-young.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danyelle,
    This sounds like a great idea. Might I suggest selling the anthology for some modest price and letting all the proceeeds go tho the Kinds for Kids project? That way, hopefully you can purchase more Kindles AND the stories get read by more people. Seems like a win-win...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful idea. My close friend's niece has been in and out of the hospital a lot due to a recent cancer diagnosis and her parents biggest struggle, besides the obvious, of course, is finding ways to entertain their daughter when she is admitted or when they sit for hours waiting for tests. I'll see if I can come up with a submission, but at the very least, I will spread the word.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!