Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Golden Apple Presents Jen of Almost Grown-Up

(Quick Kindles for Kids note: I couldn't figure out how to make it possible to download the forms, so I'll send them out separately. Go ahead and just attach your short story and send it to the email in guidelines here. Authors who would like to donate their books, please contact me here.)

Happy Friday, everyone!

I'm excited to introduce you to Jen Baggiero of Almost Grown-Up as our Golden Apple this week. :D

What do you love most about books?

Falling into them. Falling into another story, another world, other lives, and emotions that aren't my own. And, of course, in the best cases, falling into beautiful prose.

What about a story catches you in the beginning and doesn’t let go until you reach the end?

Stories that are well-written and well-thought out. The characters feel real, the setting has been brought to life, and if research needed to be done, itwas. Maybe it's gone through multiple revisions, but I think the better stories are the ones where the writers have spent plenty of time doing whatever work needed to be done.

What’s your favorite kind of hero? Your favorite kind of villain?

The answer is the same in both cases. I like to see a character who's layered. Maybe a hero who feels like a coward or who finds it a real struggle to do the right thing or who is simply flawed. In the case of the villain, maybe villain with a past, who I can sort of see how they got to be the way that they are or who has a moment of kindness or vulnerability.

 Five books you’d take with you as you flee a zombie apocalypse or an alien invasion? (E-readers don’t count.)

I definitely would have cheated and said my Kindle. Dang it! Oh well... I probably wouldn't have been able to stop and charge it anyway. If I'm fleeing for my life, I fear I wouldn't have much time to sit down and read, but if I found a safehouse somewhere with good lighting I'd probably want to have the following with me:

-Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins- because I'll never get tired of fantasizing about the city of lights and true love
-Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie- because it's one of my favorite romance novels. I've lost count of the amount of times I've read it. I fall for it all over again every time
-The first book by Tamora Pierce that I could set my hands on- I love pretty much all of her work and an alternate world that has nothing to do with ours is always fun.
-The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins- Survival against insurmountable odds. Perfect inspiration on for my flight!
-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling- because I can't take the whole series (Dang it!) and in this one a war ends! Hurray! Maybe that will give me hope to keep going against the zombies and/or aliens.

Favorite book as a child? Favorite book now? How have your tastes changed/remained the same?

My favorite books as a child/adolescent were probably Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine and Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce. I still have both of the books and they're equally dog-eared.

My favorite book now... honestly, I have too many to count. I can't pick just one; my "favorites" shelf on Goodreads has 45 books!

I wouldn't say that my tastes have changed, so much as they've expanded. I went through a phase as a teenager where I didn't ever want to read anything contemporary and now my genre choices are varied from science-fiction to romance to contemporary to fantasy to paranormal... and many more, though I largely read those genres within Young Adult these days.

Although now that I think about it, I'll admit I used to adore an insta-love factor. It drives me nuts now, so I guess that's changed!

Fun Weekly Features:

-Fun Fact Friday: This a vlog feature in which I select an element from a book that I read over the week and research it
-Camp Wordsmith: Posted on Saturdays, this a blog project that I work on with Angel of Mermaid Vision Books and Christa of Hooked on Books. We're each writing novels, and we post on Saturdays with updates of our progress and, occasionally, craft discussions.
-Something Sunday: This is a little more of a personal feature, but I post about something I used that was old, new, and borrowed over the course of the week. It usually makes me smile to write it!

Thanks so much, Jen! You can find Jen on her blog, Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Nice to meet you, Jen. I love your apocalypse book choices!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!